2022 the City of Leipzig enters the second round with the organisation of the innovation competition with the title „Smart City Challenge Leipzig“ powered by Smart Infrastructure Hub Leipzig. Founders, startups, students and established ventures are called to find innovative digital solutions for predetermined questions and challenges in the areas of civil society and municipal administration.
For each challenge, three submitted solutions and ideas from start-ups are selected to be further developed with the municipality. Afterwards the best of these three ideas will be implemented and practically tested. Each applicant selected for the first step of further development of the submitted idea will receive 2.000 EUR (gross price). The finalists of the implementation phase will receive 25.000 EUR (gross price) each to practically test the idea.
The topics of this year's competition are:
- Sustainable mobility bonus for Leipzig: How can innovative digital solutions create incentives for Leipzig citizens to use sustainable forms of mobility?
- Digital metering, monitoring and low-threshold information for users of public buildings: How can a comprehensive digital recording of energy consumptions and a further automation of monitoring including a target group-oriented provision of consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and energy costs be achieved to raise user awareness?
- Leipzig Municipal Libraries: Online ordering system for class sets and media boxes: Which digital solutions can be used to make the order management of media boxes and class sets transparent, appealing and reliable in planning for educators and teachers?
Benefits of taking part at the Smart City Challenge Leipzig
The winners get the chance to further develop and implement their ideas and business models with the municipality. This creates an attractive environment for innovations and supports the startup location of Leipzig. Moreover, participants gain access to an attractive network of founders. With the Smart City Challenge Leipzig new synergies and impulses for joint cooperation and projects will arise between startups and established ventures.
The Smart City Challenge enables the municipality to test and implement digital innovations in the form of pilot projects as a solution for municipal and social challenges. The range of pilot projects to be implemented with startups reach from new products, processes to new digital services. The exchange between municipality and civil society leads towards an open mind-set for innovations and supports the digital transformation process.
Deadline for applications and required documents
The deadline for applications for the Smart City Challenge Leipzig 2022 will be the 08.04.2022. The application papers should be submitted in form of a PDF presentation with a maximum size of 10 MB. It should include:
- Short introduction of start-up (founder/team)
- Problem solution (idea, procedure, implementation)
- Calculation of costs for the complete implementation of the idea
- Concept for a pilot project with a maximum budget of 25.000 EUR (gross price)
- If necessary, references to similar projects
- Maximum of 15 slides
Additional documents and videos are possible, however, the maximum size of the submitted documents is 10 MB. Required documents must be submitted in German language
We wish you good luck and looking forward to all submissions. If you have any questions, please contact Sebastian Graetz, Project Manager, Digital City Unit. E-mail: email@example.com